Wednesday

The Small Stakes



The Small Stakes is a small design studio. It mainly produces gig posters and promotional material for various bands. A couple of their posters really caught my eye purely because of the 'restrained' design. (Assuming that anyone reading this is also studying graphics) Like me you may find that the most difficult part of creating a design is deciding what doesn't need to be there. I think it takes a certain amount of confidence in your own skills to keep a design really simple. Partly because you fear that a 'simple' design might not reflect all the effort you put into designing it. The people at Small Stakes are obviously not lacking in confidence since most of there work is simplified to the max. I have to admit not all of it appeals to my tastes. I think some of their stuff is a bit too arty- almost pretentious. However the examples above are visually striking. The subtle design successfully generates intrigue which suggests, that at least sometimes simple is best.

No comments: